Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Joy


The things that matter most in life are not things acquired along the way, but rather the moments, memories, and experiences shared with the people we love. We are incredibly grateful for our wonderful family and friends; we feel rich in the pleasures you've each brought to our lives!

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I am so richly blessed, and yet need, I find, this reminder to come before my Creator with a glad and grateful heart! Our lives are filled with such a daunting array of mindless tasks and petty frustrations -- I leap from one task to the other, barely taking time to acknowledge my precious son and wonderful husband, or the dozens of others I rely upon for love and support and compassion! Were I to tally the number of thoughts devoted to the "junk" of life, verses the moments spent in gratitude and praise for God, the source of all things that are good and holy and pure in my life, I fear my list would be sadly distorted! I am thankful for Thanksgiving -- for the chance to realign myself, to rededicate my life to the pursuit of Love (...Let us continue to love one another, for love comes from God...God is love. 1 Jn 4:7-8), and to devote myself to worship and praise of the One responsible for my very breath!

Give thanks to the Lord and proclaim his greatness.
Let the whole world know what he has done.
Sing to him; yes, sing his praises.
Tell everyone about his wonderful deeds.
Exalt in his holy name; rejoice, you who worship the Lord.
Search for the Lord and for his strength; continually seek him.
Remember the wonders he has performed, his miracles, and the rulings he has given you..
Psalm 105: 1-6.

Please enjoy the thoughts of a few others on the joys of Thanksgiving:

"If you want to turn your life around, try thankfulness. It will change your life mightily." -Gerald Good

"The unthankful heart... discovers no mercies; but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, as the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings!" -Henry Ward Beecher

"Thanksgiving, after all, is a word of action." - W.J. Cameron

"If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, "thank you," that would suffice." -Meister Eckhart

"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them." -John Fitzgerald Kennedy

I do not think of all the misery, but of the glory that remains. Go outside into the fields, nature and the sun, go out and seek happiness in yourself and in God. Think of the beauty that again and again discharges itself within and without you and be happy. - Anne Frank

Let us remember that, as much has been given us, much will be expected from us, and that true homage comes from the heart as well as from the lips, and shows itself in deeds. - Theodore Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment